The Pizitz was built in two phases between 1923 and 1925 at 19th Street and 2nd Avenue North in Birmingham, AL and operated as a department store until it closed its doors in 1988. After a number of false starts to renovate the Pizitz, design work started in October, 2012 and construction was completed in December, 2016.
Federal and State Historic Tax Credits were used to fund the project, thus the project required windows that would match the existing windows and be approved by the National Park Service.
The renovated building consists of a Food Hall on the ground floor with support spaces in the basement, a shared workspace on the second floor mezzanine, one hundred forty three apartments on floors three through eight, and amenity space on the ninth floor.
The original building structure is a poured in place concrete structure with a terra cotta exterior surface on two sides containing two hundred and fifty two double hung wood windows and fifty two pairs of casement windows. The double hung windows, some as large as four feet by eight feet, were replaced with Marvin’s Clad Ultimate Magnum Double Hung Window. The casement windows were replaced with components of Marvin’s Double Hung Picture Window to simulate casements and to be consistent with attributes of the Magnum Double Hung Window.
Click here for full article